Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Monday, July 21, 2008

moving along

These past few days have been fairly productive for me. I moved both kids into cloth diapers, set up a clothes line on our balcony and finally finished reupholstering our dining room chairs.

Before (ugh):



And, after:



My main reason for moving the kids to cloth diapers, well, LB really, was because potty training is going NOWHERE. She refuses to sit on her potty, she'll start crying if we plunk her down on it. So, I want her to get the feeling of what peeing her pants really feels like. It's kinda frightening how absorbent disposable diapers are, even though they are so convenient, especially for going out with the kiddies. Buying LB 3 pull-ups cloth diapers cost the same as 128 disposable (non-pull-ups) diapers for her. I know it pays off in the long run... but to get started, especially now with $ stuff being what it is, well it's tricky.

I'd like to get a part-time job, at least, I think I'd like to. I'd probably hate it once I started, because it would have to be an evening/weekend job.
But with Tom's work schedule now, he's often not home till 6:30 or 7 p.m. I really don't think it's going to work right now for us both to have jobs, especially since I'd like one of us to be with the kids, not just leave them with someone else. Not right now.

So since I'm not making any money (sale of random stuff pending) I'm trying to find ways to save money.

1. After today, Tom and I are going to somehow make his lunch for the next day each evening.

2. I'm researching what we can buy at Costco to justify the $50/year membership.

3. Selling a ton of pre-pregnancy clothes at a consignment store, and other random stuff via craigslist.

4. Buying clothes needed only at consignment stores (or Salvation Army or Value Village), especially for the kids, since they grow out of clothes so quickly anyway.

5. Buying bread at local bakery (comparable price and much healthier).

6. Buying fruit and veggies from weekly Farmers' Market. Meat, fish and bread also available. LB and I checked one out on Sunday morning. I think we'll make it a weekly thing.

7. I'd like to get rid of my cell phone but since I'm locked into a contract, I'm going to stick it out and just use it as little as possible. Will be using Skype more often. $35/year gets you unlimited calls to anywhere in North America. Since my parents are a long-distance call, as is my Oma this will come in handy. Especially since I only have 100 daytime minutes/month (unlimited incoming calls). Stupid cell phones. With the $35/year I'll be able to call my bro in the UK for 2.95 c/minute. Sweet.

8. NOT buying a 2nd vehicle for Tom right now. He thought he'd be getting a work vehicle at the end of the month, but now he might not be. I feel like I need my car to be able to take the kids different places other than just where we (LB) can walk. But maybe we can just make a point of having evening outings, even if it's just me and LB going somewhere. A girl I know is selling a deisel VW Jetta that's a year newer than mine... and I'm sorely tempted to buy it and sell mine, but... I love my car. And we're the only owners... and it'll be paid of in February. But maybe I should look into trading. It would help a LOT for when we visit Tom's folks, and my folks.

Hmm.

7 comments:

Minda said...

Sounds like you have some good ideas. We don't have Costco here but we have Sam's Club which is similiar. Our membership is $40 and I think it's worth it. I take my lunch daily and I buy individual bags of chips in bulk as well as granola bars. (Hubby of course buys candy bars.) But I also get frozen meat there that I can't get anywhere else that is yummy.

Our farmers market is only open Tuesday mornings and Saturday mornings. It's pretty small but I wish I could get there more often. Thanks goodness my parents garden!

Phil Plasma said...

Sounds like you've got a great plan. Not buying a second vehicle is probably your best bet as that costs more in terms of registration, insurance, fuel, maintenance in addition to the cost of the car.

Let us know how these efforts work out...

Anonymous said...

All fantastic ideas! I'd check to see if it would be more cost effective to trade the vehicle or not. What size clothing is LB wearing now-a-days?

Anonymous said...

minda-yeah i've heard the meat is really good at costco, too... i'll have to check it out.

phil-i'm sure you'll be hearing how this all goes.

robynn-found out the car has a standard transmission, which i can't drive and tom doesn't want to because he likes being able to drive and drink a coffee at the same time. :) so no trade. lily's in 2-3 year old clothes now. depends on the brand, i think.

desdemona said...

my farmers market is way more expensive than the local produce markets... what's up with that??

Anonymous said...

If you're interested, I have some of Katie's gently worn clothes that we're going to get rid of. Do you want me to send them to you?

Anonymous said...

des--I think I've noticed that, too. I think I'm going to find out if they spray their foods with pesticides ... if they do, it's not worth it. Much cheaper to go to the little produce markets for sure.

robynn--I'd love that! :) I wish we lived closer...