Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Monday, February 20, 2006

I need to start

What though. And how. Now that I'm going in a forward direction, swelling belly first, and with my newfound disgust for marketing, I'm more unsure than ever of what I'm going to do with my life. I mean, I'm very happily married now, little bean is on the way, and I'm draggin ass through each day of work to get to the time where I can drive through rush hour to an empty apartment and kill 6 hours till Tomek gets home, tired and dirty, from yet another 14 hour work day. The work I'm doing is getting more interesting now that I'm working with stats. MUCH better than marketing. Now that I've seen how all the marketing folks and sales reps in my company are, how they have to act and how some of them have to basically be a brand, I don't want anything to do with it. When I was in my final year of a college writing program, a job in marketing was like the brightest light at the end of the tunnel. But marketing... is advertising. At least, the creation of advertising. Now that I see all the behind the scenes stuff that goes on to get people to buy this wine over that wine... it's just dumb. Especially if you specialize in one brand. Then you basically become a walking advertisement. Who would enjoy that? Really. Numbers are becoming more and more interesting to me than words. Not that I'm going to give up writing, not at all. But numbers are so much more... honest. I guess they aren't really. You can skew numbers any which way. But true stats are what will tell the most about how something is doing. No gimmicks no games.

Anyway, I seem to have become yet another person who will not use or apply their college learning in the work they do. And as for my dreams of tutoring, well I'm so disillusioned with the tutoring I'm doing now. I don't enjoy it. I don't feel like I'm getting a product. I think it's impossible to tutor someone who is going through the public school system because what they are learning is changing constantly, and by the time I meet up with them for that once-a-week appointment, they are already working on something completely different from the week before. Even in 4th grade, the bounce around from fractions to geometry to word problems to graphs. It's nuts. And they don't have math books anymore. Not my student anyway. She only ever brings home the sheets she is most recently working on. And she's bright so she mostly gets the stuff, but there is some earlier stuff like fractions I know she isn't getting and no matter how many times I try to help, it just goes out the window because she's not studying that in school that week. Her mom did ask me to help her make her writing more descriptive, but... I don't know. I just feel totally uninspired and like I don't want to tutor anymore.

I'm fairly content puttering around here trying to figure out where we are going to put all the baby stuff (in our one-bedroom apartment), doing some cleaning, cooking, reading... but after a few hours I start going stir-crazy. And then when Tomek comes home, he just wants to chill and check his email etc., and have some relaxing time, so I end up going to bed while he catches up on computer stuff.

Maybe once I start taking prenatal aerobics and swimming classes I'll meet more people and feel better. I thought I had really connected with this one girl, about education because she is a teacher in training and we have similar views on the whole Ritalin/mental disorder epidemic, but... we don't hang out. She sleeps around a lot it turns out and I've never been like that, so that's not something I could really talk to her about or relate to at all.

Maybe I'm too picky.

On Saturday night Tomek and I went to N & W's for dinner and scrabble as a fundraiser N is doing for her work. There was another couple there too, and the girl is 8 months pregnant, and ... well, I thought I dressed nicely, but I felt like total frump grump next to her. She really does act blonde. No offense to any blondes that might read this (moi)... but she acted like a model dumb blonde. And Tomek thought she was "cute". She had the perfect make up, cute hair, top that showed off her boobs and her round belly, tight pants, cool jewelery, and when she left she put on some nice big stiletto boots, and I'm sitting there in my cords and my sweater... and I couldn't get into the conversation--it was all these witty remarks flying around and Tomek totally got into it plus they sat us at opposite ends of the table and he was drinking so I was basically alone and it was miserable. We did team up when we played Scrabble but that was just not that fun.

Maybe I'm too moody.

I just feel like I don't have any career direction, this job is just making me more stupid, my writing skills are going to shit, I hardly have any friends, and I kind of feel alone. Boo hoo.

I hate sounding pathetic. and I'd like to blame it on the pregnancy hormones but it's more than that. I've lost my drive to do anything other than make sure this baby is healthy and do everything I can so that the birth goes all right and there are no problems and that I can keep it alive. I don't know the first thing about nutrition or how long to breast feed or anything. I couldn't even tell you the difference between a carb and protein. Don't they both give you energy? I don't know. I ate grapes today thinking I was eating healthy, and then it turns out they are full of sugar and my liver is already overworked so eating sugar is not a good idea but I'm already addicted to jelly beans and chocolate and popsicles.

I cried Saturday night and I had no idea why I was crying. I just felt so sad. And I wanted Tomek to make love to me. So he did and then I felt better. It was weird, having my mood change because of that. I don't think he misses me at all or feels like we don't spend enough time together, but maybe it's because I'm so much more idle than he is in the evenings.

I wish I had gone to school and learned a tangible skill. Like drafting or something. But the next person to go to school, when we can afford it, will be Tomek. I want him to follow his dreams of working in linguistics. He's so talented in language, there is no way he should have to work in alarm installation forever. I mean, it's a good trade, a good skill and he's talented at what he does... but he works with nimrods and constantly is getting filthy or being cold, and it's just not where he belongs.

Maybe I need to find a job I can do online. But how can anything online be worthwhile. What is worthwhile. I don't know. I think I'm going to go cry now.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alright, deep breath. I think the things you are thinking and experiencing are perfectly normal for a pregnant person. Kellie was completely engulfed in making sure the birth went smooth, and she was really bad about nesting. Everything ahd to be perfect for Jay's arrival. She would tear up for no reason, and I think yopu should feel perfectly ok, with blaming it on the pregnancy hormones, because that is what is causing it. As far as tutoring, I'd not worry about that until after the birth. When things have calmed down, then see how you feel about it. I bet, a strongly as you felt before, you'll feel a renewed desire to do it. IMHO

Starling said...

grapes are full of sugar... great.. that's what's recently become my new favorite healthy snack food. but it would explain why i'm constantly mawing on em.
and i understand the mood swings. i'm not preggers but i get 'em. so i feel for you. i love that u added making love to tomek made you feel better tho because being intimate with someone you love can be the best feeling in the world, i wish i heard that more. :)

moi said...

no offence taken on the blonde thingie... i've spent my entire life trying to break through that stereotype. i even colour my hair darker to avoid the barbie blonde/big boobs comments (damn nordic heritage). unfortunately some girls really seem to get a kick out of proving said stereotypes right. which, to me, seems like a heck of a lot of effort just to get some guy to leer at you (not saying that superT was leering).

phx, what's wrong with not using what you went to college as a direct link to what you now enjoy doing? we really only get once chance at this thing called life, and doens't it make sense to follow your interests, what you're good at? sounds like everything is blue for you right now. on paper, everything is great (bean in bun, married to superT, loving relationship, etc.) but there are still clouds in your ceiling.

i think the idea of classes sounds great, you'll meet local girls who have this incredible life change in common with you. hopefully you'll connect with one or two.

chin up, phx.

Madamme said...

It sounds like you're overwhelmed. If you are taking your full maternity leave you'll have a year to figure out what you want to do for your occupation. If you want to work instead of taking mat leave, you have considerably less time to decide. IF you are taking all of your mat leave, then don't worry about work right now because it's not healty for you or the baby for you being stressed out. Give yourself time.

Getting out and taking classes is a great way to get out of your funk. Just getting out of the house in the evenings will help you - Even if it's something as simple as grocery shopping or wandering through a mall somewhere. Sitting at home waiting for your husband isn't going to make you feel better. He'll be there when you get back.

FYI- They reccommend that you breast feed for a min. of 9 months, and at 6 months you can introduce semi-solid foods. They say that it is best for the kid to breast feed for 2 years (OH MY GOD). I personally am NOT going to breast feed that long. I could not imagine having to whip my boob out for a 2 year old.

And pregnancy hormones ARE a huge part in why you are feeling the way that you are. They reak havoc - They really do.

And the cute little blond preggo girl. . . Well, they're always out there. But, instead of worrying about her wearing those uncomfortable clothes and uncomfortable shoes, just be glad that you are confident enough to wear comfy clothes. It's one thing to take pride in your appearance, but I think when you're pregnant, you're not feeling great, you're bloated, your moody, your skin is going crazy, wouldn't you rather be in cords instead of cramming your body and feet into articles of clothing that are actually causing pain? Good for her that she wants to do that. . . But because she takes 4 hours to get ready doesn't mean that she looks any better than you do. Someone who is comfortable in their own skin is way sexier than someone who tries so hard. Men and women alike can agree to this.

Madamme said...

Oh yeah - For a very good factual book on pregnancy, birth and breast feeding, try "Baby's Best Chance". It's actually put out by the provincial government. I got mine for free when we toured our hospital of choice. What I liked about it is that it wasn't clouded with "opinions" of the writer. I am trying to read another mommy book and the writer has blatant opinions in it, which pisses me off, because I am just looking for facts, and the best way to raise my kid.

When you're about 5 months along, give your hospital of choice a call and book yourself in for a tour. You actually have to register at said hospital in order to give birth there, which I think is a little crazy. . But that's beside the point.

Madamme said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Madamme said...

http://www.healthservices.gov.bc.ca
/cpa/publications/babybestchance.pd
f

Try this link - It should take you to the web page. . It didn't work last time I tried to post it.